For Immediate Release
August 17, 2021
MassDOT Advisory: Chelmsford
Culvert Bypass Installation on Boston Road (Route 4) at Concord and Parker Roads
Daytime Road Closures and Detours on Saturday, August 21 and Sunday, August 22, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
CHELMSFORD – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing daytime road closures and detours of Route 4 (Boston Road) and Concord Road in Chelmsford. Route 4 will be closed on Saturday, August 21, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Concord Road will be closed on Sunday, August 22, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The closures are necessary to allow construction crews to safely excavate and install a culvert bypass pipe in preparation for the permanent Culvert replacement during future weekends.
Traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Route 4 northbound: left onto Harvey Road, then right onto Concord Road and rejoin Route 4 at Parker Road.
- Route 4 southbound: right onto Concord Road and left onto Harvey Road, rejoining Route 4 at the terminus of Harvey Road.
- Concord Road northbound: right onto Harvey Road and left onto Route 4.
- Concord Road southbound: left onto Route 4 and then right onto Harvey Road.
This work is part of a $2.3 million project for Intersection Improvements and Culvert Replacement at the intersection of Route 4 and Concord Road. Work is expected to be completed in early Spring 2023.
Appropriate signage, law enforcement details, and messaging will be in place to guide drivers through the work area.
Drivers who are traveling through the affected areas should expect delays, reduce speed, and use caution.
All scheduled work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.
For more information on traffic conditions, travelers are also encouraged to:
- Dial 511 and select a route to hear real–time conditions.
- Visit www.mass511.com, a website which provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
- Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT to receive regular updates on road and traffic conditions.
- Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.