Route 3 collector/distributor ramps at exits 81A & 81B
I-495 and Route 110 exits 89A & 89B ramps
CHELMSFORD/LOWELL – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing that it will be implementing nightly lane closures on a portion of the Route 3 northbound and southbound collector/distributor ramp between newly numbered exits 81A & 81B. The lane closures will be implemented Sunday to Friday between the hours of 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. from Sunday, June 6, through Wednesday, June 30 to allow crews to conduct maintenance resurfacing operations safely and effectively.
Additionally, the following ramps are scheduled for resurfacing and will experience reduced travel widths and/or short-term closures:
- The exit 35B (new exit 89B) ramp from I-495 northbound to Route 3 northbound
- The exit 35A (new exit 89A) ramp from I-495 southbound to Route 3 southbound
- The Route 110 ramps to Route 3 northbound and southbound
The work will consist of maintenance pavement resurfacing, including utility structure adjustments and pavement markings. The anticipated completion date is June 30, 2021 for all related work.
The schedule for this work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.
Drivers who are traveling through the area should reduce speed and use caution.
Appropriate signage, law enforcement details, and advanced message boards will be in place to guide drivers through the work area. Detour routes will be appropriately signed during any ramp closures.
For more information on traffic conditions, travelers are encouraged to:
- Dial 511 and select a route to hear real-time conditions.
- Visit www.mass511.com, a website that provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
- Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT to receive regular updates on road and traffic conditions.
- Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.