June 2, 2020 Annual Town Election Contingency Plan, voter registration deadline and absentee balloting information
Chelmsford Town Clerk Patricia Dzuris is informing the public that given the COVID-19 pandemic, the Election Contingency Plan will be in effect for the rescheduled local election which will take place on June 2, 2020. Anyone wishing to vote in person, ALL precincts will be voting in the gym at the Town Offices, 50 Billerica Road instead of their usual polling location.
The Town Clerk encourages everyone to request an ballot by mail as allowed Chapter 45 of the Acts of 2020 to ensure the safety of voters and election workers during this pandemic.
Requests for mailed ballots must be in writing and include your name, address and a signature. Mailed ballot requests can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please allow enough time for your ballot to be mailed out and returned before the close of polls on Election Day. An absentee ballot application can be found at https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepdf/absentee/English-Absentee-Ballot-Application.pdf
The date on the ballot reflects the original election date of April 7, 2020. The State Elections Division is allowing the use of all materials with the original election date.
The revised deadline to register to vote for the local election is Friday, May 22, at 8 pm.
Register online here https://www.sec.state.ma.us/OVR/
If a voter’s census year is not up to date, that voter will appear on the ‘Inactive List’ and will need to complete paperwork and show identification before voting. Voters are strongly encouraged to either contact the Clerk’s Office, or visit the Secretary of State website to determine their status.
The Town Offices are still closed to the public until the Governor lifts the Stay-at-home Advisory. Please call the Clerk’s Office 978-250-5205 to request that we send you an application to vote by mail.
FOR THOSE THAT PLAN TO VOTE IN PERSON ON ELECTION DAY:
- Voters from all Precincts will vote at the gym in the Town Offices at 50 Billerica Road.
- This polling location will be open from 7 am to 8 pm.
- PLEASE Park in the back of the building off of Chelmsford Street for easiest access to the polling location.
- Only four voters per precinct will be allowed in the polling location at one time.
- Please be sure to wear a mask or other face covering before entering the polling location.
- Additional safety precautions will be in place for the protection of the voters and election staff, your patience and cooperation is greatly appreciated.
For more information, the Clerk can be reached at 978-250-5205.