Protecting yourself and your home is an important consideration for any resident. In terms of statistics, Chelmsford is a very safe community, however there is and always will be the existence of criminal behavior. Therefore I would like to discuss how to better keep your home safe from burglars.
Even though it is impossible to completely safeguard yourself from becoming a victim of burglary, there are some simple steps you can take to reduce your risk.
- Install exterior lighting in order to illuminate all entrances to your home. Motion sensor lights are a great option and are relatively inexpensive.
- Cut back shrubbery to discourage burglars from hiding near windows and doors.
- Keep windows and doors locked at all times. Also make certain your garage door is locked and closed. Use deadbolts for all exterior doors, and install blinds on ground level doors and windows.
- Never store keys outside of your home and never leave tools such as ladders, so that they are accessible.
- Make your home look occupied. Homes are prone to burglaries when thieves believe the owners are on vacation. Have neighbors move vehicles in driveways, and have mail and newspapers collected. It is also a good idea to have different lights turned on and off throughout the residence.
- Consider a home alarm. Having an alarm with an outside siren are the most effective.
- Reach out to the Chelmsford Police Department. Did you know that the Chelmsford Police Department will conduct checks on vacant homes? You can contact the Chelmsford Police Department at any time to request a vacant home check.
- As always if you see or hear any suspicious persons or vehicles in your neighborhood contact the Chelmsford Police Department at 978-256-2521. If you have an emergency dial 911.
Thank you and stay safe……
James M. Spinney
Chief of Police