Firearms Licensing Instructions and Application for LTC/FID
New Firearms Applicants who are applying for a License to Carry or Firearms Identification Card are required to provide the following documentation:
1. Completed Application (Must be the current LTC-FID Application revised May 2015)
2. Copy of Safety Course Certificate
LTC – Handgun Safety Course OR Massachusetts Hunter Safety Course
FID – Handgun Safety Course OR Massachusetts Hunter Safety Course
(Active military and members of the National Guard may provide documentation in lieu of safety course.)
3. PROOF OF CHELMSFORD RESIDENCY : Government issued ID (drivers license, LTC/FID, passport)
* Submissions for new applicants without all of the required documents will be returned.
* Those individuals between the ages of 15-18 years old must have written permission from a parent accompanying the packet for all FID and FID Restricted (self-defense spray) cards.
* There is no license required to purchase Pepper Spray/BB guns if you are over the age of 18.
Renewal Applicants need only submit the completed application AND proof of residency.
***FIREARMS LICENSING DATES AND TIMES FOR PROCESSING ARE POSTED IN THE POLICE STATION LOBBY OR BY CALLING (978)256-2521 EXT 2. ***
*Payment in the form of a check made out to the Town of Chelmsford is required at the time of processing. No other forms of payment are accepted. No payments are accepted prior to your application being processed.
The payment schedule is as follows:
License to Carry Firearms: $100
Firearms Identification Card: $100
Firearms Identification Card restricted or under age 18: $25
(No fee for renewal applicants age 70 or older)
Thank you for your attention,
Firearms Licensing (978)256-2521 Ext 2