- Public Works
- Recycling & Solid Waste
- Appliances and Electronic Waste
Appliances and Electronic Waste
Appliances & Other Large Metal Items
Appliances and large metal items are banned from the trash. Non-working appliances must be recycled. Working appliances should be donated for reuse if possible, or recycled if donation is not possible. Usable metal items such as exercise equipment, metal shelving, file cabinets, metal furniture, etc. should similarly be donated and recycled if not. Metal recycling options are listed below. For donation options for usable appliances, furniture, etc., see Usable Items to Get Rid Of.
Fee-Based Curbside Collection
Republic Services will collect appliances and other large metal items, electronics and tires at the curb every two weeks. Call 1.800.442.9006 to schedule a pick up. A fee will be charged. Once payment is processed it will not be refunded. Items must be at the curb by 6:30 am on collection day.
Prices for items July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022
- Appliances without Freon: $22.28
- Appliances with Freon (refrigerators, freezers, ACs, etc.): $33.42
- Console, Plasma or Projection TVs: $55.70
- CRTs/TVs/monitors up to 24”: $27.85; over 24” $44.56
- Flat Screen TVs over 30”: $38.99
- Large metal items: $27.85
- Tires without rims: $11.14
- BestBuy has a free in-store electronics recycling program. TV's and computer monitors may have fees
- Send your old-fashioned, high-energy-consuming Christmas lights in for recycling and receive a coupon toward the purchase of more efficient LED Christmas lights.
Metal Drop-Off Options
Always call first to make sure they want what you have. Fees may be charged.
- Max Levine & Co. Tanner Street, Lowell, 978-454-7786
- W.M. Transfer Facility, Leominster, 978-840-9557
Scrap Metal Collectors
Many folks are collecting metal for no charge at the present time. If you know others we should add to this list, contact the Recycling Office at 978-250-5203.